Cages for decorative rabbits - perhaps the most important attribute for the content of small animals. At the same time, their convenience and availability must be taken care of even before buying pets. In most cases, you can buy them at pet stores, but you can build them yourself. What should be the dwelling for the decorative rabbit, and also how to equip it? Read all about this further in the article.
Initially, it is necessary to determine the size of the pet's future habitat. It should be about four times the size of the animal itself. It is easy to determine whether it is spacious enough in the home, knowing the approximate size of the animal. It is very important that the eared could move around the house without any difficulty, without restricting movement. If there is not enough space in the house, the rabbit can get the deformation of the entire skeleton, internal organs or obesity.
The height of the cage for decorative rabbits should be such that the pet can safely stand on its hind legs.
The length of the cage according to the standard should be at least 1 meter in width - approximately 45-60 cm. Remember, the more spacious the dwelling for the animal, the more comfortable it will be there. Also, decorative rabbits really like if the house has floors (or as they are also called levels). If your pet spends enough time outside the home, you can make a cage of 70x40 cm in size with your own hands. However, in this case, the main condition is that the rabbit goes for 3-4 hours a day to walk around the house.
The floor in the dwelling should not be hard, as this can lead to inflammation on the rabbit's hind legs. Also, do not put a grid on the bottom of the dwelling, because then the animal will not be comfortable. The fact is that these animals do not have pads on their paws, like, for example, other representatives of domestic fauna. If there is a mesh bottom in the cage, then it is best to put a soft mat or board. Moreover, until the pet is accustomed to the tray, it will be among its rubbish and garbage, and this leads to the emergence of various diseases.
Additionally, you can lay on the bottom of the cage not only a rug, but also shredded paper, wood sawdust. And in order to make it easier to clean the dwelling of the decorative rabbit, it is necessary to lay any dense material under them. Be sure to dwell in the presence of a long-hiding place. It may even be a regular box or house.
Also, do not forget about the mandatory cellular attributes: drinking bowl, feeder, house. Having a place to sleep is necessary, especially in the first time, while the animal gets used to a new place and strangers. Feeding trough and drinker should be made of heavy material. Or you need to make sure that they are firmly fixed, because these animals, being played, can throw objects upwards.
In pet stores there are cages for domestic rabbits for every taste, so even with a modest budget you can choose a home for your pet. But to do it yourself is not a big deal. This will be even the best option, as the owner will be able to precisely follow all the recommendations and rules for the safety and comfort of his pet.
Tools and materials
- cell drawing;
- plywood sheets (chipboard) - the quantity is taken from the calculation of the cell size 90x60x45 cm;
- self-tapping screws;
- tin sheet - 90x60 cm, thickness up to 0.2 mm;
- wooden slats;
- metal mesh - width 60 cm, height - 45 cm;
- hinges for doors;
- scissors for cutting metal.
- Draw a drawing of the future dwelling for the animal or take ready as we suggest. Drawing homemade cage for rabbits
- We start building the cage from the floor. Take a sheet of chipboard and cut it with a file. The size of the thread is 90x60 cm. You can make the cage smaller or larger, depending on the breed of the pet.
- On plywood we put a sheet of tin of the same size, up to 0.2 mm thick. Tin is optional, but it significantly simplifies the process of cleaning the cell.
- We cut pieces of plywood for walls: height — 45 cm, width — 60 cm. If the dwelling for the rabbit is two-tier, then one side and rear wall should be made of chipboard, and the rest - from a metal grid. They are fastened together with nails, attached to the floor with screws.
- We make the door of wooden slats and grid. Approximate size - 30x30 cm. Hang on the hinges.
- We make the second tier of plywood, fasten it with screws to the walls of the home. It is necessary to make sure that the floor is stable and can bear the weight of the rabbit.
- We make a ladder not less than 15 cm wide using plywood and wooden slats. To do this, every 5 cm we fill with a hammer on the chipboard.
- Fasten the trough and drinker. They can be purchased.
- We arrange the cell according to the recommendations indicated above.
It must be remembered that when building a cage with your own hands, it is not worth painting the walls of the home of a small animal with paints or varnishes. Animals love to gnaw everything that comes their way, and any wall covering is toxic.