The nest for laying hens is a very important part of the arrangement of any chicken coop. Birds in nature also make themselves comfortable, soft places where babies will later grow. That is why if you make a comfortable nest, the eggs will not be scattered throughout the house. And you can control the productivity of your hens.
Those who have been breeding and keeping domestic chickens for a long time know that if there is more nests and eggs, their quality is better. Such an unremarkable at first glance object in the house prevents food from being harnessed and contributes to their cleanliness.
Before you start making a convenient place for egg-laying, it is important to think about its placement. The fact is that chickens will be carried in it if it meets certain requirements.
- The nest should not be visible, it is desirable to select a small darkened corner and put it there.
- In the nest is not desirable to get a lot of light.
- Place the egg-laying should be dry and warm, so find such a place in the house and lay straw or sawdust.
- Do not place the place of laying on the ground, it will be damp and cold from this. Approximately 30 centimeters from the ground - the ideal height of the nest.
Instructions for making
So, each of us represents what the nest should look like. It is a small box or basket with a straw or sawdust. It is just such a comfortable place that every owner can arrange for his hens. If you do not have a suitable box, it is easy to make from plywood, boards or other suitable natural material.
Many breeders ask: how many nests are enough for a certain number of chickens? It is clear that all the birds at the same time will not need to be carried, but here two or three can still take their private places. It is believed that one nest should be for five layers. Accordingly, if you live 15 chickens, then there will be three places for laying.
Another important point is that the laying hens should get used to each place. It so happens that the owner changes the location of the nest, and the chickens are still rushing in a familiar corner. That is why, before placing it, think about everything well, predict whether it will be convenient for the birds to stay there for a long time. If you are just going to start chickens, introduce them to the place of laying in advance.
To make this option does not require a lot of strength or materials. As an example, you can take a regular box for vegetables. Exactly this is the size of the place for laying masonry assemble from light plywood. Lay hay or straw on the bottom - and here is one nest ready.
If you have a large farm, it is advisable and very convenient to make the place of laying in the form of a battery. They are also very easy to make at home, and most importantly from improvised means.
For this you need:
- Take a long board or plywood, divide it into three parts.
- Then on each part to construct sides.
- Cover the nest with straw or hay and place at a convenient distance from the floor. Next to make a ladder for lifting
Have you ever made a booth for your dog? If yes, then make the nest itself you will not be difficult.
- Make the usual convenient for the size of the chicken box without the front wall.
- In a solid plywood or board cut a small round hole for the passage of birds
- Insert the front wall, lay the litter.
As you can see, everything is quite simple. Exactly the same principle can be done and the battery sockets, as in the photo.
Having a place for laying chickens with an egg digger is very convenient, especially if you do not have the opportunity to check nests regularly during the day. In addition, it is not difficult to make their own hands. All that is needed for this is only the availability of materials and a little time. The main difference of such a device is the presence of the bottom with a slight slope. According to him, the egg will roll into a pre-prepared tray.
- We make the usual box or booth for chicken.
- Instead of the usual flat bottom, we set a slightly inclined surface, enough at 10 degrees.
- Down under the sloping bottom, make a hole and attach the tray. To do this, you can use any plastic container, for example, an elongated tray from the refrigerator.
- Do not lay a lot of bedding so that the egg can roll out freely. But to soften the fall in the tray, put a soft cloth or sawdust.
How it looks in practice, we suggest to look at the drawing.Nest pattern
Chickens have a convenient place to carry, and now you will definitely be sure that each egg will remain safe and sound. Successes!