We decided to get one or more pigs? Have you prepared a barn for them and think that this is enough? But you still need feed troughs for pigs, which, if desired, can be easily designed with your own hands.
General design requirements
Such a container for feed as feeders, designed for daily feeding of the animal. Because of this, the health of the pig will also directly depend on her. After all, if such a container is constantly dirty, the animal, sooner or later be sure to get sick. To preserve the health of pigs, when using feeders should follow a few simple rules. These rules apply to all types of structures and are mandatory to comply.
General sanitary norms
- Pig feeding facilities should always be kept clean. To do this, it is necessary to adhere to one very simple rule, namely, such a device should be easy to clean and wash.
- Then the feeder is constantly clogged. Such clogging should be prevented in advance.
- It is very bad if the feed constantly pours out of the tank. It is necessary to prevent the rash of dry feed and the pouring of wet food.
- For different types of feed, you must take a different type of container, and drinking water is given only from the drinker.
- The main requirement for the liquid feed tank is its tightness. After all, the constant flow of fluid will not only bring economic loss to the owner, but will constantly litter the pigsty. Thus, the humidity in it will always be increased, and this is also bad for pigs.
- The design of the feeding device for piglets should be such that the animal can easily get to the feed. Capacities with beveled edges or rounded corners are considered the best option.
- It will be good if you set the container at an angle. Thus, the remnants of food will always be collected in one place and if the animal does not eat it, then the owner will be able to easily remove them.
When buying or making piglet feeders, it should be remembered that their size should constantly change throughout the life of the animal. So, for example, small and low capacities are perfect for small piglets, and for large ones, on the contrary, large ones. Then, if there are a lot of pigs, it is better to set long troughs as feeders. Thus, all pigs will be able to eat at the same time. At the same time it is also necessary to divide the trough into compartments with jumpers so that the animals could not get into it.Table of standards for the width of feeders for animals of different ages Table of norms for the length of feeders for gilts of different ages
Do it yourself
Based on the number of pigs and their age, as well as what kind of food they will be given, you can make several types of feeders. The first type is the usual feeders for pigs and pigs. These include various kinds of simple containers, such as: a basin, a trough, etc. The second most common type when feeding with dry food is automatic constructions, which are also called bunker ones.
There the feed is fed automatically depending on how much the mumps eats. But this type of feeders is quite difficult to build, so we consider the options more simple. In addition, whatever feeder you have built, it can be fixed, mobile, individual, or for a group of pigs. Here the decision is yours.
From plastic barrel
If you have an old big plastic barrel that nobody needs, you don’t rush to throw it away. It will make an excellent feeder for boars, pigs and piglets, an example can be seen in the photo. But before you make a container for food from a barrel, you should be 100% sure that no toxic substances were stored in it.
- large plastic barrel;
- several wooden bars;
- pencil or marker;
- sanding pads.
- Depending on the size of the barrel we divide it into several sectors. In our case, just three. 1. Layout plastic barrel; 2. Fastening of wooden bars to parts of the barrel
- By marking we cut the barrel with an electric jigsaw into three equal parts.
- We also cut off all sharp corners and clean up with a barb sanding paper.
- For the legs, cut into two even bars and fasten them with screws to the side walls of the improvised container. On this homemade trough ready.
From gas cylinder
If you have an old gas cylinder lying around at home, do not be in a hurry to turn it in for scrap. It will make an excellent and durable feeder, which will last about 20 years.
Toolkit and materials
- old gas bottle;
- brush and soap solution to check the residual gas in the cylinder;
- a bucket of water or another container of water (water will need a lot);
- reinforcement bars;
- several metal corners;
- welding machine.
- Take the gas cylinder and open the valve completely. If there is some gas left, wait for it to completely go out. For testing, we use soapy water, which we apply with a brush on the outlet. If the bubble does not appear after that, then there is no gas left and you can start working.
- Now turn the cylinder on its side and a hacksaw for metal completely cut down the brass valve. Here we need an assistant. While you are sawing, someone will need to water the sawing site to prevent heat and sparks from arising.
- Next, fill the balloon through the hole to the top with water. In this case, the cylinder is constantly shaken to wash the condensate inside. Then pour the water with condensate away from home.
- We determine the capacity of the future trough. For example, if you need one feeder for pigs and one for piglets, then we divide the balloon into two parts, one of which will be smaller and the second larger. If you need a feeder for boars and pigs, then simply divide the balloon in half lengthwise.
- When determine the size, grinder sawing cylinder.
- To avoid climbing the pig in the feeder, the bars of the reinforcement are welded on top.
- To finally get rid of the smell of gas, we burn the feeder with a gas burner.
- Then we weld the legs of the reinforcement so that the container does not turn over and this ends the production.
From a piece of pipe
It is also easy to make a feeder if you have a piece of asbestos-cement or ceramic pipe lying around. Such materials are also durable, as they are not susceptible to corrosion.Drawing of the feeder from the pipe: 1 - ceramic half-pipe; 2 - concrete support; 3 - protective grating; 4 - holders.
Tools and materials
- a piece of pipe (its length depends on the number of pigs);
- several pieces of boards or prepare a cement mortar;
- bars of reinforcement with a diameter of 15 mm;
- welding machine;
- Master OK;
- saw or jigsaw.
- We take a piece of pipe and saw it along as well as in the case of a gas cylinder. The diameter of the pipe should be about 220 mm.
- For the feeder it is better to find a permanent place in the pigsty, as it will not be removable. In the right place for her prepare concrete support.
- Install the pipe and put the plugs at both its ends. Plugs can also be made concrete or made from pieces of boards.
- So that the pig does not climb into the feeder, you need to make a grid from the reinforcement, which will be installed above the feeder. At this trough is ready, and in more detail to consider its design can be in the drawing.
What other options exist?
We have already reviewed several simple options for pig feeders. But it should be said that there are quite a few variations of such structures. So, for example, you yourself can easily make an auto feeder for pigs from several galvanized sheets of tin. Then you can use any convenient container or make a fully wooden trough. And, finally, you yourself can easily come up with your own design version for animals based on the available tools and general recommendations that are given above.