Knowledge of how to pluck a duck at home is needed, first of all, for poultry farmers, but it can also be useful for city dwellers. After all, today you can buy fresh Mallard even with feathers. But having plucked feathers, do not rush to throw them away, because this is a very valuable and good down, filler for pillows.
Immediately after slaughter, as some experts advise, this should not be done, you need to wait at least 2-3 hours. This will help preserve the skin, since during this time the subcutaneous fat will already harden. First, you will need to remove all large feathers, for example, on the tail and wings. Then you can go to the back, neck and chest. In order to shorten the time when plucking, it is advisable to immediately select a large feather, and fold the small one separately.
Remove feathers and feathers carefully, so as not to damage the skin. Pull large feathers should be in the direction of growth, and not against. Although many modern sources indicate other information. But experienced poultry farmers still advise so. This method is less traumatic for thin skin.
Small fluff can shoot against growth. After all feathers are removed, hemp and fluff can remain. They are easy to remove, for example, using a blunt knife. In order for the fluff not to fly in different directions during plucking, it is advisable to sprinkle it a little out of the spray gun. Empty the old sheet or newspaper, and take two bags for feathers at once: one for large and long ones, the other for small fluff. So, consider the whole procedure in more detail.
This is perhaps the easiest and most common method of plucking ducks. Given some important nuances, the whole procedure can be done efficiently and quickly. This method is often used by hunters. They believe that while the carcass is warm, it is also easier to remove feathers.
- Put the duck on a prepared sheet or paper, start pulling out all the big feathers. Pulling is best for growth, so as not to damage or break the skin.
- After, proceed for plucking the breast, smoothly moving to the neck and back.
- When all the fluff is removed, the hair may remain on the body. They are difficult to shoot, so most often the carcass is rubbed with flour and scorched.
- To get rid of the hairs just hold for a couple of seconds over the fire. But you should not keep it for a long time so that the subcutaneous fat does not melt and the skin does not burn.
- At the end of my carcass and cleaned up soot.
Plucking after scalding
Many people use this method of plucking birds, as they consider it more efficient and convenient. For this we need a comfortable large metal basin and hot water.
- Put the carcass in a prepared bowl or large pan.
- Heat water strongly, but do not boil. It will be enough to bring to a temperature of 80 degrees.
- Hot water thoroughly pour the duck from all sides, gently turning it over.
- After that, fill the entire feathers and leave in water for 15 minutes.
- Now you can move on to plucking. The bird must be removed from the pelvis and allowed to drain.
- After removing the main tail, the carcass should also be singed.
Do not be alarmed if, after scalding, your duck has changed its color. This is a normal meat reaction to elevated temperature. It is also important to remember that the plucked bird is thus poorly kept. It is desirable to immediately cook.
How to do it?
It is not to say that plucking the indotion is more complicated than the usual one, but here the method of scalding will not work here. The best way to quickly and accurately clean the pen in this case is the hot method. For this you need a bag, hot water and an iron.
- Take a cloth bag made of thick fabric, soak well in hot water, squeeze and place the bird carcass there.
- Tying the bag tightly, hold the carcass in it for about 15 minutes.
- Then take the iron and iron the feathers through the bag. Be careful not to burn your fingers.
- After the duck is well-ironed, you can begin to pluck.
- Further, the whole procedure is preserved, as well as to remove feathers from ordinary mallards.
How to save and properly prepare fluff?
Many people ask how to properly prepare the down with the ducks yourself. First of all, the feather and down should be thoroughly washed in warm water with the addition of detergent. You can soak the feathers for several hours. Powder removes residues of duck grease, dirt and odor. Then rinse the fluff in clean water several times, carefully squeezing.
Last time the pen squeeze through a colander. After that, it should be folded in a gauze bag and hung to dry in a dry ventilated room. Periodically shake the feathers without unleashing the bag.