If you think that castration of rabbits is an unreasonable and even more inhuman decision, then you are mistaken. As it turns out, this not very pleasant procedure makes life much easier for furry pets. Experts even claim that from the point of view of mental and physical health, it is simply necessary. Especially decorative animals.
At what age do this?
It's no secret that castration is a kind of small surgical operation, which involves the removal of the sex glands in males. The purpose of this intervention is to stop the production of hormones and spermatozoa in animals. But such a procedure is still very useful for the successful maintenance of the animal. As practice shows, neutered rabbits live longer than their "full-fledged" kinsmen, more relaxed and balanced. In addition, it is even more advisable to raise small animals, which do not need to be separated all the time and mated with females.
In nature, because of the strong sexual instinct, the crawls often engage in fights and end their lives, usually in the second year of life. At home, a neutered male can live 10 or even 12 years. The decorative pet will not disturb owners with an unpleasant smell marking the territory, aggressive behavior.
It is most advisable to carry out castration at the age of 3-4 months, when the rabbit's testicles descend into the scrotum. However, for veterinary reasons, this procedure can be done and the age of 6 weeks. As for the upper limit of the allowable age, there are no exact limitations. However, as you understand, after 5 years the risk of negative perception by the body of anesthesia increases.
If the rabbit is more than two years old, then before the procedure it is necessary to do a complete blood test, to identify all possible problems. This will help prevent the death of the animal during anesthesia.
How to hold?
Castration is carried out in a veterinary clinic by a veterinarian. However, such a procedure can be carried out independently, having the necessary knowledge and tools. There are two methods of the procedure: closed and open. The last way most often castrated rabbits, and in more adult age use the closed method. The closed method is considered safer since it is carried out without incision of soft tissues, but requires special skills.
Each procedure, whether it is a closed or open method, must be started with thorough disinfection. An antiseptic (hydrogen peroxide, iodine, alcohol) treats the surface of the table, hands, thoroughly wash, boil and disinfect the instruments.
- As soon as the anesthesia works and the rabbit falls asleep, it is necessary to place it on the table. The front legs are attached to the chest, the hind legs are bred to the sides. The incision site and testicles are thoroughly disinfected.
- Feel for the testes, pull them back a little and make an incision in the scrotum.
- Now one testicle is brought out, the cord is tightly tied up with a ligature, using a special castration loop, and we make an incision.
- We cut the cord above the knot a few millimeters. We process iodine spot incision.
- Repeat the action with the second testicle.
- We put a seam on the wound, once again we process it with an antiseptic.
- Fingers of the left hand groping for the scrotum with the testes and ottyagyvaem it to himself.
- The base of the scrotum is tightly tied with silk thread using a castration loop, clamping the spermatic cord.
- With the right procedure, the blood will not flow to the testes, they die off and after about 5-6 days they will disappear. However, it is important here to tie the thread very tightly so that the inflammatory process does not start.
As a rule, the restoration of the animal after castration takes place quickly and after a couple of days the animals behave quite actively and healthy. However, it is still necessary to pay close attention to the animal. First, you need to carefully remove and prepare the cell so that no infection can penetrate the wound. It is desirable to process the cage and inventory with special prophylactic agents.
Put in a cage of fresh hay, pour clean water. If the rabbit has no appetite, then Acidophilus can be given. If after 5 hours the appetite has not appeared, it is necessary to feed the animal by force from a syringe. If castration was carried out in an open way, then monitor the condition of the seams. See that the male does not gnaw them, and did not begin to rot. The first days you can put a heating pad in the cage (30 degrees).
The stitches and wound in the morning and evening must be treated with hydrogen peroxide. But remember that it is better not to disturb the animal during the first days and not to create additional stress for it. For any complications or signs of infection, the rabbit needs to be shown to the vet. If the male is trying to cut the seams or all the time touching the wound, it is better to make a slapstick or put on an old sock without a heel. Do not forget that for about 1.5 months the reproductive function of the eared fish will work, so it is better to limit its meeting with females.