Want to make the easiest and most natural house for the bees? Then you can forget about the frame, bulky design and headache during transportation. After all, a deck for bees with their own hands is ideal for this.
What should be the hive?
A house for workers should be reliably protected from adverse weather conditions. Independently it is quite possible to make a hive that will be durable, inexpensive and easy to install. A few more indicators that speak in favor of perfect evidence: ease of use and ease of transportation.
As building materials for the home of bees from a hollow tree trunk fit pine, spruce, willow and linden. In addition, buzzing insects will be comfortable in houses made from other soft materials. Practice shows that it is better to give preference to dry wood, which has no cracks. If you picked up a deck and noticed knots on it, then do not rush to postpone. You can use wood and knots, but those that have grown into it.
What is good? In this type of evidence, you can quickly change and increase the frame, as well as rearrange the body. All that needs to be done to properly maintain this type of hive is to extract honeycombs filled with fresh honey.
This design does not need to be moved for wintering, it is enough to warm the deck. At other times, the natural house can be checked only in the fall and spring. In the autumn, it is necessary to distribute the accumulated medok, and in the spring - to examine the bees.
How to make it yourself?
With your own hands, such a house for workers can be created from solid wood or several boards. For the first case, you will need a finished deck, which can be made hollow with a saw.
If there is no suitable log, you can use long bars (1.5 m long), cut in the form of a trapezium (6 to 10). They are tightly adjusted, put on glue or screws and tightened with straps. The diameter of such a design for bees is up to 47 cm. In such a small house for insects one should make an entrance hole (it is located in the middle of the structure), and a hole for garbage at the bottom.
Tools and materials
- 1 finished hollow 40 cm by 120 cm with walls 4-8 cm thick;
- 1 board cover for the hollow 40 cm;
- fabric for lining the cover and mount for it;
- glue, bolts, fasteners and other auxiliary materials.
Instructions for making
- Close one side of the blank tightly (it should be on top).
- Take the future cover and carve it so that it tightly covers the hive. Pay attention to the fabric lining on the cover. It will not allow easier to open the deck. The cover can be hinged or a handle can be made on it.
- Measure out from the opening side 30 cm and make slots (tap holes) whose height will be no more than 1.5 cm.
- Dry the structure thoroughly.
- Place the house under a canopy at an angle of 20-30 °, opening side down.
- Populate the house with bees. The most convenient way to do this is the swarm method.
The prototype deck, which is a natural hive, can also be made from 4 (or more) boards. A visual demonstration of this design can be found on the video on the network or in the image below.Drawing hive-deck of boards