Side beekeeping or beekeeping is the oldest form of keeping bees in which they inhabit the hollow of a tree. The beads can be created naturally or formed by beekeepers. To learn how to make a border with your own hands, and how to keep bees in it, read on.
Bort is a specially formed cavity inside the tree, which is used for the further breeding of bees. On one trunk can be located from 1 to 3 of these "dwellings". In this case, the board in no way affects the state of health of the tree.
Side beekeeping is an ancient method. In this case, the bees do not live in the usual hives, but settle in the hollow.
The construction of boards is conducted on coniferous and deciduous trees, such as oak or ash. Their service life is usually 300 years. To date, the side trees, where wild forest bees still live, have been preserved only in the reserve of Bashkiria. Today bee can be created in one day. To this end, the masters use modern tools and auxiliary items, which were used even by our ancestors (Lyang, Cyrus).
In ancient times, the construction process could last for several days, and the beekeeping itself had a slightly "poaching" character. For example, before the arrival of autumn, honey was collected from the boards. As a result, the bees were left without stocks, which led to their death. In the spring, the pilots were engaged in preparing the sides for the next settling. When they ravaged the nests of bees in a certain area, they left it, and went in search of another.
A similar system persisted until the nineteenth century. Its advantage lies in the fact that annually there was a renewal of cells, the hollows of trees were less rotting. As for the bees, they were sick less often, their sizes did not decrease, and there was no inbreeding. Gradually, borteviki began to realize that it was better not to destroy the bee's nests, but to take only one part of the honey, and leave the other to the bees for the winter. Thus, modern onboard beekeeping has appeared.
Wild bees produce a truly unique and valuable product that is successfully used by mankind in alternative medicine. Due to its special properties, it is possible to overcome various diseases. Also, this honey perfectly strengthens the protective functions of the body.
Because wild bees live in forests and fields that are remote from industrial areas, they collect nectar from flowers that grow in ecological places. Therefore, their honey gets an amazing aroma and is filled with a useful composition.
Coastal honey has a tart taste and a dark brown tint. Its consistency is quite thick, and the aroma is fragrant. It contains a lot of vitamins and valuable trace elements. The composition of wild honey includes:
- vitamins E, C, B;
- aluminum, etc.
The presence of such a number of nutrients makes this honey quite nutritious product. In addition, it is perfectly absorbed by the body, and also contributes to the improvement of digestive processes. This beekeeping product has anti-inflammatory properties. This honey is also valued for its bactericidal effect, effectively destroying pathogens. These qualities are especially important when treating flu and colds.
Also today, it successfully treats pneumonia, bronchitis and even ischemic heart disease. However, such a quantity of valuable substances requires proper storage. Such honey is necessarily stored in natural materials - in cedar barrels or clay pots.
In order to independently collect board honey and improve yields on your own plot, you can make a board for bees with your own hands. This process does not require large financial investments and will not take much time. But before starting, it is advisable to view the corresponding video to avoid mistakes.
Tools and materials
- well sharpened ax;
- trunk section;
- a ruberoid or a piece of iron;
- raw clay.
After reviewing the video, and armed with the necessary tools, you can proceed to the main process and make yourself more. Its creation takes place in several stages:
- From the hardwood of the tree saw off the chainsaw part of the trunk. It will need to be cut in half. The thickness of each block should not be less than 60 mm.
- At the next stage, it is necessary to make two identical parts from the obtained length of the trunk.
- Next you need to cut transverse cuts using a chainsaw.
- Then the wood is selected from the trunk with an ax. Using a chainsaw, it should be done so that the walls of the future bead were 60-70 mm thick.
- The hole for entry and departure of bees is formed by the end of the chainsaw. From the top of the side you need to retreat about 30 cm.
- After that, you will need to attach a flight board.
- Before you start collecting the harvested side, it should dry for a couple of weeks.
- Halves blanks should be placed on a flat area. They are knocked down with nails or screws, and then the top cover is nailed tightly.
- As for the bottom cover, it needs to be made removable, since it will have to be removed twice a year: in the fall, remove honeycombs and remove dead bees in the spring.
- A sheet of roofing material or a piece of iron is nailed on top, which will serve as protection of the bee shelter from precipitation.
- To seal a log, you can use raw clay, moss or other fibrous materials.
As soon as the board is ready, it must be insulated. Stepping back from the top of the hollow 7 cm, you need to install a crosspiece. The honeycomb will be attached to it in the future. The cross should be covered with a piece of clean burlap. The remaining space is filled with dry moss. Created Bort set at a height of 0.5 m from the ground. The hole through which insects will fly in and out should go to the south-east side.