Diarrhea is a fairly common problem in chickens. Many owners sometimes do not even pay attention to such a symptom, thinking that their bird ate something wrong. Partly it is, because often diarrhea is the result of poor-quality food. However, it can also be caused by a serious infection. As in such cases, diarrhea manifests itself in chickens, what to do with them, let's see together.
The most important thing in combating such a problem as diarrhea in chickens is the correct determination of the cause. Only after that you can take for treatment. As we have said, the main causes of diarrhea are infection and bad food.
As for the first option, when confirming the diagnosis, only the veterinarian can prescribe treatment. In the second case, the bird can be treated independently. However, this is not a complete list of what can cause diarrhea. Consider all cases in more detail.
Many owners, when they detect diarrhea in a chicken, begin to immediately treat it with all sorts of drugs and pills. We do not advise doing this until you have decided on the cause of the disease. It's one thing if it's food, and if something else? For example, banal stress, which can also provoke bowel relaxation. Chicken can fall off the perch and get stressed. It is clear that in this case she does not need medicines, but only peace and time.
You also need to think that you could eat a chicken, and whether there are similar symptoms in other members of the pack because of feed. In this case, you need to remove from the diet poor quality grain or feeding. Remember that a chicken is a vulnerable being and you can’t just stuff it with pills.
If, in addition to diarrhea, there are other symptoms that indicate an infectious disease of the bird, it should be shown to the veterinarian for further treatment purposes. Often diarrhea is due to the common cold, for example, in the fall in a damp room. In this case, the bird should be placed under the heating lamp and insulate the coop.
Methods of struggle
What to do if there is diarrhea in chickens? You identified the cause, it is not an infection, but the disease itself did not go away after two or three days of resting chicken. In this case:
- It is necessary to provide the bird with abundant drink, but water should be replaced with oatmeal or rice water. As an astringent, an infusion of pomegranate or quince peels is also used.
- Today, there is a whole mass of pharmaceutical drugs that are not only struggling with the disorder itself, but also with the cause, for example, absorb harmful toxins from food.
- From the available means you can give tablets of children's Biseptol, chloramphenicol. To disinfect the intestines before the astringent infusions, it is important for the chicken to give a solution of potassium permanganate.
- If the bird has diarrhea and it often does not eat well, it can be gastritis. In this case, it is important to contact a veterinarian and feed the bird with boiled yolk. If diarrhea has occurred in one individual from the entire flock, it must be transplanted into a clean, disinfected room or cage. In this case, the infection will not spread to other layers.
- If diarrhea is caused by poisoning due to poor-quality feed (the bird can eat something from the ground itself), then it is also important to give an absorbent substance - regular pharmaceutical coal or ash.
- In summertime, diarrhea can be green due to an oversupply of succulent feed. In this case, you need to reduce the dose of grass in the diet of the hens and add more roughage.
So, there is diarrhea, the reason is clear, we begin treatment:
- Sick bird we set aside from the rest of the pack.
- We give coal or ashes with food.
- Drink manganese solution or oatmeal, rice water.
- We give Biseptol, chloramphenicol.
As a rule, after such therapy, ordinary diarrhea disappears in a couple of days. Healing drugs can also be replaced by probiotics for animals - Emprobio or Flosan.