How to cut the wings of chickens? This question, oddly enough for many, sounds, but excites the poultry farmers often enough. Especially those who have hens pretty fly over fences or fences. How to make a trimming procedure, let's talk right now.
Many people think that chickens do not fly and are deeply mistaken. These birds, like all other domestic birds, have wings, and they even know how to use them very well. For example, to spy on what is outside their yard. Chickens, we hasten to notice, are very curious and sometimes do not mind checking out the neighboring garden. Or, if you planted flowers in a flower bed, they will also delight in them. What to do? There is a way out - to cut the wings. This is a completely safe and painless procedure, if done correctly.
The easiest way to cut the wings of a chicken with an assistant. So it will be more convenient for you to straighten the feathers and quickly perform the procedure. However, you can try it yourself, especially if your birds are not shy and tame.
- The first thing is to catch a flyer. Remember that chickens are nimble, so to do it in a large open space is not so easy.
- Prepare sharp scissors or pruner in advance.
- If you have an assistant, ask to hold the bird firmly while you trim the feathers.
- Squeeze the bird tightly to the body, spread the wing and cut the wing feathers with a quick movement.
- It is important to remember that it is necessary not to cut off, but only to cut the feathers a little, not reaching the sensitive parts (the blood vessels). Otherwise, you will cause the chicken severe pain and discomfort.
- The second wing is exactly the same. That's all - the procedure is completed.
In order for your trimming process to occur as calmly and easily as possible for both you and the chickens, here are some tips.
- In order not to make too much noise and commotion during the capture of the desired hen, fill the grain hens. When they all eat in a handful, quickly catch the one you need.
- If the bird in your hands is strongly beating and trying to run away, you need to hold it under your chest with both hands, strongly pressing the wings and bending the legs back.
- If the bird is under severe stress and excitement, cut the feathers on only one wing. This will not allow the chicken to fly, it will only roll on its side.
- In order for the chicken not to scratch you and not much beat in an attempt to escape, cover her head with a thick cloth. In the dark, she will not see anything and will be calmer.
- Fly feathers are the longest, which are located at the beginning of the wing.. It is enough to cut only the first ten feathers and the bird will not be able to fly.
- Cut feathers need only 6 centimeters from the edge. This is the optimal length so as not to hurt the chicken and prevent it from flying.