Deciding to get geese beginner poultry farmers often face the problem of determining the sex of these birds. The fact is that the female and male are quite similar in appearance. Issue who is who can only their habits. Also, a few tricks know experienced poultry farmers. So let's learn how to distinguish a goose from a goose, and most importantly do it quickly and easily.
- If we are talking about an adult bird, then it is quite easy to distinguish the floor simply by looking at the geese. We are talking about their appearance, because like most poultry, the male should be much larger than the female. The weight of an adult male can reach an average of 10 kg, and females - only 5 kg. Then the male has a longer and thicker neck, and also, as seen from the photo, a larger head. This method is quite simple, but does not have great accuracy and is not always effective in practice.
- The violent nature of males is another method for determining the sex of geese. The fact is that in the mating season the males fight for the females and this time their character and habits are very unbearable. They often fight, pinch and strive to annoy at the first best opportunity. Geese have a calmer nature and they fight extremely rarely.
- Pay attention to the herd going to the water. The goose walking in his head is definitely a male leader. The females will follow him implicitly, as seen in the photo.
- It is also worth watching a bird in the water. Males swim with a neck proudly extended to the top. The females, on the contrary, will hold their necks horizontally, such a movement resembles still bows.
- An important detail in determining the sex is the voice of geese. Males have a loud and hoarse voice, while females are ringing and long-drawn.
The most reliable method for determining gender
If there is still doubt and you do not know how to determine the sex of geese with one hundred percent accuracy, then the latter method is for you.. It is quite simple, but at the same time somewhat unpleasant. Although if there is no choice left, then nothing can be done about it. The fact is that the method is based on checking the presence of a male organ in the cloaca. This organ looks like a small (up to 5 cm) spiral curl.
Females do not have this process, so it will be quite easy to distinguish a goose from a goose. However, the use of the method requires additional skill from the user. Namely, in order not to injure the bird and not accidentally injure oneself, you can check the trema in ways.
- The first. The bird must be placed so that the tail part of the body hangs down. Then take and fold her tail to the bottom. With the help of the movements of the index and thumb open the cloaca.
- Second. We take the goose upside down and clamp its head between our legs. After that, press with your fingers around the cloaca. If it is a male, then the sexual organ should appear, if it is not, then it is a female.
- Third. We sit down on a high chair and take a goose on our knees. Put his back up and hold his head under his left hand. In this case, the wings of the bird should be tightly clamped with your elbows. After that, you can proceed to inspect the cloaca.
We hope our tips will help you to easily distinguish the sex of geese. You can also learn more about how to distinguish a male from a female in this bird from the video below.