A good farmer knows that everything that is done by hand is not only convenient, but also pleasant. Today, any master can build a shed and make a convenient, proper feed tank for his cows. How to do a cow feeder with your own hands, let's talk right now.
One of the most important items of arrangement of a stall for a cow is a container for food, that is, a feeding trough. We think that this subject is important not only in cattle breeding, but also in other branches of the household economy. However, the cow feeder must comply with certain rules. Any container or trough will not work here. For different feeds they must be different: for dry and wet separately.
The most important feeder is for hay and grass. It must be mounted, have a rectangular shape. To prevent spillage of food, many owners make the front wall of the lattice, but with the condition that the animal could easily stick his head between the partitions.
Wet mash and grain can be given in a bucket, as well as in a special plastic container. Today they are commercially available and are used for both cows and horses. Most often, to save space, they make it hinged and angular, as in the photo.
From the point of view of convenience and hygiene, the feeding trough is the most acceptable, which has a folding side wall and a hay grate. It should also be possible to remove the container. In summer, when the animal is pasture, it can be dried well in the sun, and also easy to clean and wash.
As for the size, for cattle use feeders from 100 to 120 centimeters in length. The width, as a rule, is about 60-80 centimeters, and the bottom width is 35-40 centimeters. The outer side make up to 75 centimeters. What are the options for homemade and purchased feeders, look at the photo in our article.
Instructions for making
So, the easiest way to manufacture cow feeders with your own hands is from wooden boards. If you are not afraid to work with a tree, know how to clean it properly, then such material will become not only natural and clean, but also comfortable. You can use a pine or oak. Today, there are three variants of feeders: moving, folding and lifting. We will manufacture lifting with folding walls.
We will need:
- wooden boards;
- woodworking tools, grinder;
- measuring tape;
- steel rods or wooden slats.
- First we find suitable boards, dry them, clean and polish them.
- We take the drawing and set the required dimensions: the bottom width is 45 cm, the width of the feeder itself is 80 cm, the height of the outer side is 30 cm, the inner side is 100 cm.
- On the inner side for the convenience of the animal we make a small depression for the head and neck.
- After the construction itself is ready, it is possible to make a grid of wooden slats or steel rods. It will prevent the spreading of hay. For convenience, we provide several variants of drawings troughs with their own hands.