Slotted floors for pig houses today are increasingly used in modern households. After all, they are not only very convenient, but also functional. Let's see together how to make and install them with your own hands without too much difficulty.
What requirements must meet the slotted floor?
The slotted floor, above all, must be durable, durable, easy to install and safe for animals. You should also consider the cost, the material from which the floors are made, the service life and floor area of the pigsty. The width of the slits can vary from 10 to 20 mm, but no more, so that the hooves of the pigs do not fall into the holes, and adult pigs do not cling to the hooves. The gap length is about 15 cm.
The second tier must be present - to collect waste, in fact, for this purpose we will need a perforated upper tier. The depth of the lower compartment (for waste) must be at least 60 cm. It can be a tank made of any material, not necessarily the same as the top cover. Mandatory bias for self-draining waste. So, before making such a construction with your own hands, let's find out what types of it exist.
Reinforced concrete or concrete slit floors - this is perhaps the most popular type of coating for modern pig houses, especially large ones. Concrete perfectly withstands the weight of animals, does not absorb odors, and its service life is at least 15 years. Concrete slit floors will be useful to you if your pig farm is planned to be large, and not in the amount of 3-4 heads. However, there are also disadvantages: it is better to keep adult animals on concrete, the pigs on it will not be very comfortable.
By the way, it is difficult to make concrete slotted coverings of pigsty with your own hands, a lot of money and resources will be invested in it, so it is more economical to buy ready-made forms. They can be installed on their own, which from a practical point of view is extremely beneficial and correct. The basis for such a floor - concrete slabs, best withstand gravity (1 meter to 600 kg).
A relatively new type of flooring, but already beloved by many. Finished panels are produced by a large number of companies, it is convenient to order and complete them at your discretion. The advantages of such a floor material: ease of installation, reasonable price, can be transported by ordinary transport, do not slip. In addition, the plastic texture is such that the floor as it becomes warm on its own, it does not get cold.
This type of floor would be an excellent option for teenage piglets and sucking a sow, as it is designed for an average weight. It is almost impossible to make a plastic floor with your own hands, for this you need special forms and technological equipment. Since plastic fragments are attached to each other during casting, any bonding of fragments will lead to the appearance of cracks. So this option will have to choose either in the finished form, or replace it with something else.
A rare but acceptable variant of the material from which slotted floors are made - galvanized iron or cast iron. The metal surface is not the best solution, but if there are no other materials on hand, then you can use metal. Remember that on this floor the pigs will be cold almost all the time, so you have to additionally heat the premises of the pig houses. But for sows during lactation this floor fits very well!
The fact is that the metal floor coating perfectly cools the nursing pig, making it less restless. But in this case, only the place of lying of the nursing pig should be metal (plus the installation of openings for the discharge of manure under it). By the way, the combined version of metal with plastic is very good. You can weld a metal grid (for example, from reinforcement) with your own hands, and place a plastic substrate under it. In more detail about methods of production and installation of floors read further in our article.
How to make it yourself?
If you still decide to work hard and make slotted floors with your own hands, you will need some experience and skill, as well as tools and clear instructions for implementation.
Tools and materials
Let us take iron slotted floors as the simplest and fastest in manufacturing and installation. To work with iron, we need:
- directly iron base (galvanized sheets of the same size or iron sleepers that can be welded together);
- protective clothing (mask, gloves, apron);
- welding machine;
- measuring tape;
- electric shears for cutting sheets or profiles (the Bulgarian is not recommended, as when working with it safety is much lower).
Also take care of a comfortable spacious room for all manipulations, and the material for the lower tanks. Ideally, this should be a concrete floor, made at the stage of completion of the foundation. Thus, it remains to place iron slotted floors on top and organize periodic manure pumping.
To make the work even easier, use our step-by-step instructions for the manufacture and installation of iron slotted floors for pigsty with your own hands.
- For cutting strips you will need a sheet with a thickness of at least 5 mm. The number of blanks is measured, with an allowance for the width of the gap (1-1.5 cm). Thus, you will cut so many strips that you end up with a “grille” with gaps, which will cover the entire floor of the machine. The width of one strip from slot to slot - up to 10 cm.
- Prepared, measured along the length and width of the machine, the bands of iron are welded together in a solid construction with gaps between them. Stripes are put "over the grid" overlap. Remember that in the second half of the mumps will sleep, so it can be covered with any material that stores heat well, for example, wood or plastic.
- After the flat horizontal part of the floor is made, the sides are welded so that the straw and feed do not fall out of the machine. But many people use just a solid galvanized sheet without sides (it's a matter of saving time and material), which is put on top of the bathtubs in the waste floor.
- Consider the number of lower supports, there should be at least 5 of them (four from the sides and one in the middle), so your slit construction will not sag. The height of the support is equal to the height of the waste bath.
- After the grating is installed, troughs and troughs are placed on the unprotected part of the grate, and wooden flooring is placed on the opposite side (resting place). There the pigs rest and sleep. A empty walk on a slatted floor. Flooring can be made removable to wash and clean.