Bee transplantation into a new hive - a video about which you will see in our article is a mandatory procedure for each beekeeper. It may not happen often, but if the hive is out of order or it should be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected, then you cannot do without certain knowledge. Moreover, experts recommend replacing old houses with new ones after each wintering of the bees. We propose to learn about all the intricacies of this process right now.
When and why should a transplant?
Most often, bees are transplanted in the spring. It was at this time after wintering that many beekeepers were forced to perform full cleaning of the hives and disinfect. It also happens that after winter the house was “worn out”, mice could eat it or grind off parasites. Of course, in this case, we understand that the hive must be replaced with a new one. Due to old age, wooden cases can also fail, thereby breaking the internal microclimate.
It is best to do a bee transplant during a bribe, that is, during the flowering of honey plants. Why? According to experts, it is very important. When frames with honeycombs are exposed, they can attract the attention of other families and provoke theft. However, during a bribe, insects are busy with their business and will ignore the “tempting” opportunity.
Also, the hive can be replaced in the autumn before the onset of cold weather and in the summer, if there is a need. As for the spring, you should consider the air temperature. It should not be below 14 degrees. Proper care of the bees recommends a transplant in the morning, when it has not yet begun intensive years. This will keep insects free from confusion and stress.
How to transplant bees?
Before you start transplanting bees into a new hive, of course, you should prepare it in advance. To do this, we carefully clean it, if it was in use, and disinfect. Shells should be fully equipped and prepared for use. If the old ones need to replace individual parts (feeders, flight boards, etc.), then we carefully select them and also prepare them.
It is important to take into account the mental state of the bees who will experience stress. Therefore, we select the new hive as close as possible to the "old" house. It is usually painted in the same color.
What and how to do: step by step instructions
So let's start with what we need to work. In order to maximally comfortably transplant bees into a new hive, as shown in the video, we will need: a smoker, a stand for evidence, the hive itself, a lap and a chisel.
- We take the prepared stand and the new beehive, kindle a smoke and go to the place of transplant. Put next to the stand.
- We close all the troughs in the house with bees and transfer it to the prepared stand.
- Then we put the new house in its place, as close as possible to the old evidence, and open all the entryways so that the insects could fly into it on their own.
- We open our house and very carefully, without unnecessary shaking and noise, rearrange all the frames with the bees in the prepared building. The frame should be as much as it was before transfer.
- Gradually, as the frames in the new case increase, in order not to cool the nest, they need to be covered up with prepared canvas.
- Carefully collect the bees in order not to damage them, especially carefully transfer the uterus. Of course, it’s hardly possible without casualties, but it’s important that the losses be minimal.
- If there are a lot of bees left in the old evidence, it doesn't matter. During all the work they have to fly over the womb.
- After all our winged friends and frames are moved, we close the new building. Some time near it will be a large cluster of bees. These workers who flew in with a bribe will investigate a new home. If everything is normal, then in time they will also fly into choosing a home inside.
Important! Do not forget that in the old evidence there may be bees that still do not know how to fly. To move them to a new place, you need to put two hives against each other with arrival boards and wait until all individuals are transferred.
Even experienced beekeepers sometimes use additional disinfection of insect frames when carrying. If you think that you also need it, then use the drug "Virkoni C" or "Ecocide" in a water-diluted form. Spray the bees on the framework on both sides with a spray gun.
The location of the framework: what should I take?
In order for a bee transplant to take place calmly and without incident, such as in a video, you should follow a clear sequence. First, you should take two or three frames with uneven brood and uterus. They are placed in the middle of the case. Then frames are either new or old with ready-made honeycombs. If they are not, then set with a wax.
If we want to move the bees to a completely new frame, then we gently and sharply shake them off to a new one. Also in the center of the hive set the frame with empty cells, if we want the family to grow. There the uterus will lay eggs. Next to the brood we place a frame with a perge. Along the edges of the hive place honeycombs filled with honey.
Remember that all the preparatory and cleaning work you will need to complete before you rearrange the framework. The nest can not be cooled, and besides, it is not desirable to disturb the bees for a long time. The whole procedure should fit in 15-20 minutes. See the video for more details.